Hello lovely MMMILC readers!
As the title suggestions, this will be the first of many new blog posts to come. We’re making a renewed effort to document the field season and all the challenges that come with it. With this effort comes two new authors: myself and Jessica Aguilar. We’re both graduates from UC Davis and serve as project managers in the Yang Lab. While we’re not new to the Yang Lab, we’re new to you and felt we should introduce ourselves.
Late winter for the MMMILC project means preparing field sites and plants for the upcoming spring.
Yesterday Jess and I visited the Putah Creek field site where we decided it would be best to have additional help to tackle the weeding there. After this trip we started weeding the LTRAS field site. With the help of the hula hoes we removed weeds surrounding 70 narrow-leaved milkweed plants. While doing this we encountered one of the largest weeds I have ever seen. It was not an easy task to remove and it took both of us to finally uproot it.
Surprisingly, some of the milkweeds appear to be emerging. We counted 24 small narrow-leaved milkweed plants poking through the mud.
After weeding we visited the greenhouse where we planted 900 narrow-leaved milkweed seeds that will grow into plants to be used in future experiments. Seeds have been germinating quite quickly in the greenhouse and we have high hopes for this new cohort of plants.
There is a lot to do to prepare the field sites for spring! Our list of upcoming tasks include: weeding and mulching at PCR, taking care of our newly planted seeds and repairing irrigation at LTRAS.