The MMMILC Project

Monthly Archives: April 2016


Week 4 Recap

Nice job on data collection and entry! We are seeing some cool stuff out there. Without further ado, here is the pattern from Week 4: …and for context and comparison, here is the pattern from last year, 2015: It is…

Read More

Bug safari

On mine, Angela, and michaels trip to the ditch on Sunday we had a blast. Plant measurements went smoothly, and we were stoked to see several monarch caterpillars, one (depicted) was 27mm long! Pretty cool if you ask me. Also…

Read More

Week 4

Week 4 was an interesting week at the ditch. I was paired with Cody Phipps and Emma Thomsen for this week. I was unable to join them in the field as our schedules conflicted but I was able to go…

Read More

Week 4

This week, I was on a team with Sydney Russo and Maddie English. I was not able to join them in the field, but they monitored plants 199 to 229 and sent along some photos of the milkweeds. Based off…

Read More

A Full Day in the Field – SB 2016

April 17th, 2016 Upper Oso Ashley, Rachel, and I decided to start our day at the Upper Oso site. We usually start there because it’s on the side of a steep hill and is in full sun, so it’s best…

Read More

Week 3 Recap:

The results from this week were a little slow in coming – there was a bug in one of our analysis scripts that kept it from running. With a little sleuthing, we were able to trace it back to an…

Read More

Week 3

This I was partnered with Sydney Russo and Morgan Mooney-McCarthy. We were in charge of monitoring plants 453-484. Not all of the plants were alive but the ones that were looked pretty good. We found a lot of monarchs on…

Read More

Week 3

Today I went out for week three with Michael Ibrahim and Fiona O’Keefe. We measured plants 294 to 325. Our section had quite a few Monarchs, and many of them were already 2nd or 3rd instar. One plant had 12 eggs on…

Read More

Week 2 Recap, 2016

Last week, we ran a couple of quick polls. Here are the results: And Quick Poll 2: Although only 9 of 24 participants actually responded to the polls, it still seems to be pretty useful data; we’ll use this to help plan our…

Read More

Week 2

This week, I was paired with Cody and Maya. We were assigned milkweeds #294-325. Since it had just rained the previous day, the ground was extremely muddy, and unpleasant to walk through. The flags made finding the plants a whole…

Read More