Week 10

On an already quite warm Sunday morning, Scott, Emily, and I took data for our milkweed plants, 326 through 357. All of the grass surrounding the ditch is dying, and the sound of cicadas and crickets signals the beginning of summer. Most of the milkweeds present in this section were faring pretty well, although there were a few plants that were missing altogether or dead. Many of the plants are a bit monstrous at this point, and counting umbels is becoming a larger task. We found little to no leaf damage, and no monarchs aside from a few eggs. However, we did see a monarch butterfly fly past us at one point, which was exciting! Its bright orange wings were unmistakable — they stood out against the oddly overcast sky. Hopefully these sightings will become more common as more of the caterpillars pupate. With one more week remaining in our portion of the MMMILC project, I hope that we’ve been solid contributors and that the data generated is valuable!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: