The MMMILC Project

Monthly Archives: May 2017


Persisting: Data from Weeks 1-6

It has been two tough weeks since grounds crews inadvertently mowed down several hundred milkweed plants at our field site. To be honest, I am still pretty upset that this happened. We tried very hard to keep those plants marked…

Read More

Week 7 Blog

This week I was paired up with Celeste and David. We meet at 3:00 PM on Wednesday. Most of our plants were small or not present, either because of the mowing or just because the milk weed has not begun…

Read More

Week 6

This week Sarah, Olivia and I were in charge of plants 321-344. Over half of the plants were alive, with many large stems. None of the plants seemed to be mowed down, just some not emerged yet. Sadly, there were…

Read More

Week 6

This week was hotter out than all the past weeks which added to the adventure of data collecting. My group and I went out Friday afternoon to milkweeds #345-369, where there was at least a slight breeze out. A few of…

Read More

Week 6

This week, my group was in charge of the section of milkweed plants 370-393. I went down late Sunday afternoon, and it was just gorgeous. There was a little bit of water flowing in the creek, and a lot of…

Read More

Week Six

On Wednesday May 10th, our group went out to survey the milkweed plants. It was a nice sunny day, and I saw lots of ladybugs. Most of the milkweeds that we encountered with either no emerged or just beginning to…

Read More

Week 6

This week my partners were Maddy Hagedorn and Camille Renaud. We measured our plants (492 to 516) early Saturday morning. To our surprise, we found yellowing and even black spots on the leaves of some plants. We also found plants…

Read More

1st Visit to SB County Milkweed Patches

On April 23, Carly and I made our first trip of the season down to the Los Padres Mountains in Santa Barbara County to collect data on the milkweed sites. We first headed to Upper Oso, where Paradise Road has…

Read More

Week 6

David, Tate, and I met at our assigned milkweeds (223-246) today to take our measurements. It was sunny out with a light breeze so the weather was quite nice. Many of the plants had been mowed down but we managed…

Read More

Sabina, Erika, and I went out to the ditch last week only to find that unfortunately, all of our assisnged milkweeds (199-222) had been mowed down. Hopefully they’ll grow back soon!

Read More