Week 15: A Hot and Buggy Day

Today was a very hot day.  We had a lot of milkweed plants to cover, filled with many stems and pods.  We also didn’t find many (plants not emerged) NE’s today.  Our group also encountered many bugs, from crab spiders and milkweed bugs, to a praying mantis jumping on Edwin’s arm while collecting data.  Similar to last week, there were many bees on the milkweed plants. Sadly we fell short in finding any caterpillars and eggs.  I also noticed that in our section, the milkweed plants were very large, and the amount of stems even went up to over fifty inches in one plant!  Like I said before, we found many pods.  While Summer goes by it seems that the amount of pods is increasing rapidly. Most of the plants we covered had little leaf damage, and were mostly one hundred percent green.  Our group had a great day measuring these plants, and we are hoping to encounter some Monarch Butterflies soon!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: