Week 30

This afternoon, Byron, Claire, and I went out into the surprisingly hot sun to measure milkweeds 294-325.  Unlike other sections of milkweed, this sample had few non-emerged plants and quite a few with at least 20 or more stems.  Our largest plant had 50 stems, in case you couldn’t hear Byron “elevating his voice level” to deliver measurements.  We also observed more large milkweed bugs than before, got our hands stained yellow by an abundance of aphids, and saw three jumping spiders, which was three more than any of us wanted to see.  However, we didn’t see any monarchs, and many of the plants do seem to be shutting down for the winter.

IMG_3056

IMG_3058

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: