The MMMILC Project

Category: Latest Posts


5/24 Trip to Los Padres

On Wednesday, 5/24, Kiana and I borrowed a van and took a couple of bikes to Los Padres to reach the Upper and Lower Red Rock Sites, since the road is currently flooded and inaccessible by car. We biked for…

Read More

First Trip to Santa Barbara for 2016

First Visit On February 7th, 2016 a few friends and I stayed the night at the Upper Oso campground after bouldering near Lizard’s Mouth Rock. I had suggested we stay there so I could check up on the A. californica…

Read More

LTRAS East Irrigation

On Tuesday Jess and I returned to LTRAS East to refill the trenches with dirt and bury the irrigation array. Luckily we didn’t have to do this by hand. Two of the workers at LTRAS used a tractor with an…

Read More

LTRAS East

This field season we are initiating a second plot of milkweeds at LTRAS. The first LTRAS plot already has 150 milkweeds planted in it from the previous field season. The second plot that we’re working on will have space for…

Read More

Re-emergence

Hello lovely MMMILC readers! As the title suggestions, this will be the first of many new blog posts to come. We’re making a renewed effort to document the field season and all the challenges that come with it.  With this…

Read More

Week of 7/21 Update

This week I finished numbering the irrigation tubes at North Davis Creek. This is a secondary backup numbering system for the plants at this site. The plots’ also have aluminum number tags and the numbered stickers on the plant protectors….

Read More

Week of 7/14 Update

I started the week off by catching up on some data entry. I caught up with both the quantitative assessment data and the volunteer check data. With the help of a lab mate, I finished fertilizing and mulching line 1…

Read More

Week of 7/7 Update

I started the week off by moving all of the aphid experiment plants from the outdoor bench into a greenhouse. I unbagged all of these plants the following morning so they could be sprayed with a soap/water mixture. This will…

Read More

Week of 6/30 Update

This week I carried on with the quantitative assessments. I finished the quantitative assessments at all sites. As expected, LTRAS seems to be doing the best. With soil compaction being the biggest hurdle for the plants at this point, LTRAS…

Read More

Week of 6/23 Update

This week I continued with the volunteer monarch survey. This was probably the least fruitful search for volunteer monarch eggs and caterpillars yet. It seems that the monarchs have, at least temporarily, slowed down. Next week I’ll see if this…

Read More