The MMMILC Project

Blog on 11/2

Today, our group went out to the field for milkweeds number 389 to 420. We didn’t see a lot of milkweeds that are still around. there were a few milkweeds that were blocked/ covered up by the falling branches from nearby trees. The weather was fairly cool, and the sky was mostly cloudy. Next week is the last time for DHS environmental students to go out and take data for this project.

 

 

Week 31 In the Field

Kyra Lee, Emi Eckey and I measured and recorded our Milkweeds, numbers 326 through 357, on Wednesday November 1st.  The weather was cool and a bit cloudy while we walked through the ditch.  Sadly many of our Milkweeds had not emerged or were not alive, however, we did see a gopher snake!  The milkweeds that were alive were large and home to many aphids.  Altogether it was a good day in the field.IMG_7088        IMG_7080 (1)

IMG_7083

10/27 Trip

This past Friday Everett, Taylor, and I went to measure plants 326 to 357. It was warmer than expected and really sunny when we went. The majority of the plants had died or were not there, but the remaining ones were still quite large and green. One man out walking stopped to talk about a dead fish he had seen and asked us about the ditch and if fish lived in it. There were no surprising bugs or any other discoveries, but there are still two weeks left to see something cool! IMG_3013

Week 10/23

I went to the fields with my group mates, Joseph and Emi, on Sunday morning. Emi needing to leave very shortly brought some concern as we were unsure how quickly we could finish. I had never gone to the 400 side of the bridge so I didn’t know what to expect on our expedition. However to our pleasant surprise they were almost all not emerged! Able to finish in 20 minutes, Emi had no complications with her plans. Here are some photos of olap!

Field Day

Last Thursday, Stephanie, Amelia, and I went out to record data for plants 421 to 452. From several weeks of this internship, we were quick and efficient with recording the plants. Out of the milkweeds we observed, many of them were either very dried up or dead. Overall, even though there wasn’t too much to see with the plants,  collecting the data was successful.

IMG_0160.PNG

10/29/17 Visit

This week, my parters Jessica, Tatum, and I met up at the ditch early on Sunday morning to find that the majority of our plants (#389-420) were not emerged. This made the process of measuring go by quite quickly, and we were done in less than thirty minutes. Subsequently, we didn’t see that many bugs or caterpillars, because most of our plants weren’t emerged. Even the plants we did observe only had about two or three stems. Additionally, we had a hard time finding some of our plants because there were some trees that had fallen, which obstructed our view. We did however see a large amount of dogs on the trail, which made the process all the more worthwhile.

Week 10/23

Thursday afternoon, Sarah Needles, Ronja Keely, and I all went out to the ditch to do our weekly measurements. We were assigned milkweeds that had many stems, and our hopes were dashed when we did not get many not emerged plants. While were measuring, we passed by this tree filled with lots of bees, and on another plant we found a huge hairy spider.IMG_0867

Another Day of Sun 

Earlier this week, Fiona, Luke, and I ventured to the levee for another round of data collection to measure our assigned milkweed plants 453 to 484. We were surprised at how warm the weather was considering it is the end of October. Our trio was efficient at collecting data, taking only just under an hour to observe all of our plants. Many of the assigned plants were dead, appearing to be suffering from the fluctuations in weather. Of the alive plants many had OLAP and we spotted a few red-orange insects. Unfortunately, no monarch or caterpillars were seen. With only two more weeks left in the internship, we hope to see more monarchs and caterpillars. 

Week 30

This afternoon, Byron, Claire, and I went out into the surprisingly hot sun to measure milkweeds 294-325.  Unlike other sections of milkweed, this sample had few non-emerged plants and quite a few with at least 20 or more stems.  Our largest plant had 50 stems, in case you couldn’t hear Byron “elevating his voice level” to deliver measurements.  We also observed more large milkweed bugs than before, got our hands stained yellow by an abundance of aphids, and saw three jumping spiders, which was three more than any of us wanted to see.  However, we didn’t see any monarchs, and many of the plants do seem to be shutting down for the winter.

IMG_3056

IMG_3058

10/21/17 Blog entry

Last saturday evening, my group and I went out to collect data on milkweeds 458-488. It was a nice day to go out and collect data, and we were greeted by several dogs out on a walk through the area. Some of the plants were pretty dried up, but the majority were mostly green. Towards the end, we were able to spot a caterpillar on one of the milkweeds.

IMG_0037.JPG