The MMMILC Project

10/17 Trip

This past Tuesday Kyra Lee and I went out to the ditch after school to measure the first section of plants. We were shocked to discover that there were only 6 alive ones left to measure!┬á The weather was nice, although a little warmer than expected, and we got all our measurements in about 20 minutes. Out third partner, Ronja, could not make it, but kindly offered to enter all the data for us ­čÖé We did not see any bugs or animals out of the norm, so I’m excited to see what I encounter this week!

Week 29

This morning, Luke, Joseph, and I went to monitor milkweed plants 230-261. About half of them were NE but the ones that had emerged were extremely large and took us awhile to measure. We spotted an abundance of OLAP and LAMB and even saw a lizard! Unfortunately, we did not find any monarch life because the plants are beginning to dry up. The past few weeks have been a great experience for me and I am sad the internship is coming to a close.

Week 29

My group, Taylor, Everett, and I went out Saturday morning very early. It was very cold probably around 45ºF.  Most of the pods on the plants are dried and open, ready to release their seeds. This week had the first rain of the season, so all of the plants were weighed down.  There were some OLAP but its possible that there is less because of how cold it has been this week.  The plants are now dying faster because of the rain and the cold, and will probably rot within a week or two.

Week 29

My group went out to the ditch on Thursday after school around 2 PM. As many other groups have said, many of our plants were not emerged or they were dead so it was a pretty quick trip. We saw lots of LAMB and OLAP but did not get to see any monarch life. I think most of the plants starting to die as the weather has started to cool down and with the additional winds that we have had. It has been a really cool experience watching the milkweed plants changed and get smaller over the last few weeks.


Like many of the other participants have have been noticing, a good portion of my group’s plants this week have been dead, dying, or not emerged. As a result,┬ámy group and I got through our assigned plants quickly however we still saw quite a few OLAPs and LAMBs. We did not however see any caterpillars or butterflies this week. It was quite windy when we went after school to take our measurements, but I personally enjoyed this weather over the earlier weeks of excruciatingly hot temperatures. I believe that the following weeks will show increasing numbers in dying milkweed plants due to the cooler weather.

Week 28


The wind was really picking up this week so the plants were slightly more difficult to measure. Luckily the wind helps keep the temperature down and the work is getting easier (for better or worse) as more of the plants are dying.  The ditch is also easier to navigate now that we have been working in it for a while. There are also some beautiful butterflies out there, although they are not all monarchs.  We have not been seeing very many monarchs, but this is not surprising since many of the milkweed plants are either dead or dying; however there are still a lot of large and small milkweed bugs.

10/15/17 Field Day

Today my two partners, Theodore and Katie met a the ditch to monitor our milkweeds of the week. Their trip must have been a quick one because from the look of our data they had mostly NE’s with only a few plants they had to measure. From the milkweeds they measured they observed hundreds of olap, 33 LAMBS and 25 SMMB. So while they didn’t have tons of plants to look at they got to see tons of insects that live around the milkweeds!

Jessie, Katie and Theodore

Morning trip to the field

Today we met at the ditch in the morning to measure our plants for the week. We had a relatively fast trip as many of our plants were not emerged and many were dying. We noticed that a lot of our plants were a lot darker in color and wilted. Most of our plants had lots of OLAP on them and one plant had a praying mantis on it!

Collecting Data 10/14/17

On Saturday afternoon, Alexander, Sarah, and I went out to the ditch to collect data for section 199-229. It was a windy day, but luckily it wasn’t too hot. Many of the plants weren’t emerged, so recording measurements went quickly. While observing the milkweed plants, we saw many LAMBS and OLAPS, but sadly no caterpillars. ┬áOverall, it was a successful day in the field.



Milkweed Plants!!

Today my group went to the milkweed plants on another adventure to measure and record the growth of the milkweeds!!! Overall everything seemed normal and overall so exciting! The weather was great so it made measuring even more fun! We saw a yellow ladybug and lots of other cool bugs, but nothing out of the ordinary.We’re all excited

For another week of measuring!!